Car Free Day LI and LI Mobility Week have served as a catalyst for regional collaboration, innovation, and action around sustainable mobility. Each year big projects are planned and announced on Car Free Day. Pledging to reduce single occupancy car trips happens alongside that. Below are examples of innovations that have come from this powerful collaboration:
- Car Free Day LI Coalition of business, civic and environmental groups, universities, and municipalities kicks of to encouraging Long Islanders to use commuting alternatives such as transit, carpooling, bicycles, walking and telecommuting to help reduce traffic, conserve energy, reduce harmful emissions, improve fitness, and reduce parking problems.
- NICE bus launches mobile ticketing
- Large hospitals such as Northwell Health introduce Pre Tax Transit Benefits
- LIRR launches TrainTime app
- Suffolk County announces plans for two Bus Rapid Transit projects
- Farmingdale State College launches free shuttle connecting campus to LIRR station
- Nice Bus announces community shuttle service
- Nice Bus announces real time arrival info
- USGBC-LI launches LI Mobility Week, a week-long series of activities and events by Long Island municipalities and organizations informing about sustainable transportation.
- Town of Huntington announces Qwik Ride
- Suffolk County Transit and Long Island Rail Road announce South Fork Commuter Connections
- Suffolk County Transit introduces mobile app
- Suffolk County Planning Department introduces model code for Parking Stall Demand Reduction
- Northwell Health Launched Dedicated Carpool Parking
- Suffolk County announces Bike Share with sponsor Bethpage Federal Credit Union
- Suffolk County Bike Share Expands, a project that USGBC-LI Sustainable Transportation Committee helped initiate as part of Long Island Mobility Week.
- Hauppauge Innovation Park pilots Circuit Electric On Demand Shuttle
- LIRR announces Grand Central Madison and increased reverse peak service on the Main Line.
- NICE Bus and Suffolk County Transit introduce on demand shuttle pilots
- Vision Long Island walking audits identify 6 lower-income Long Island communities badly in need of pedestrian safety upgrades.
- Baldwin Community Bike Network Unveiled
- Suffolk County to launch Reimagined Bus Network
- Suffolk County launches Transit to Trails Initiative
- Northwell Health to join LI Bike Co-op efforts to recycle bikes and distribute to those in need